It's just a jump to the left, and a step to the right

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - 1975

Unless I am mistaken, this is the first soundtrack I will be writing about. And, while it won't necessarily always be the case, it's a bit pointless to discuss a soundtrack without the movie.
Even if it wasn't, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to discuss this movie, which is such a cult classic that dictionaries should have a picture from the movie in their definition for the term.



The movie was slighted by critics and audiences alike upon its release, but it soon gained a following as a "midnight movie". Little by little, audiences started interacting with the characters, dressing up in costumes, learning the dance steps, and speaking the lines out loud. It actually is still played in midnight shows in the US around Halloween, more than 40 years later.
I'm not gonna go into plot details because if you haven't seen it yet, you should. But also because the plot is silly. That's part of the charm, isn't it? But if you need a summary, just imagine a very horny Ziggy Stardust, trying to make himself a muscular man to keep him company. Now imagine the most American of all American innocent couples showing up at his doorstep. It's something like that, pretty much.
What makes this such a great and fun movie is how happily it embraces its role as a parody/homage to horror movies from the 1950s, and how it celebrates the sexual ambiguity and liberation of the mid 70s.
And then, there's Tim Curry, Dr. Frank-en-Furter, the Sweet Transvestite from planet Transexual in the galaxy of Transylvania. I can't think of anybody else who can cause so many contradictory feelings in an audience as he can: he is gorgeous and repulsive, sexy and ridiculous (ridiculously sexy? Yeah, probably that too), creepy and endearing, attractive and scary. All at the same time. And all of it with a tongue-in-cheek attitude that is the ultimate saving grace of his performance and of the movie. After all, you can't be a mad scientist alien transvestite and take yourself too seriously.
It's the same kind of genius that Curry brought forth in his performance as Pennywise, the Clown for the 1990 version of It, and part of the reason his rendering was much better than Bill Skarsgard's was that Curry managed to convey those contradictory feelings: his clown is very scary too, but you sort of like him a bit, which makes him scarier.
Culturally, the movie is important not just because of the midnight shows and its endurance throughout the decades, but one thing I noticed yesterday (of course, I watched it again, how couldn't I?) was how much the make up, clothing and hairstyles influenced the counter culture movements of the early 80s.
And, of course, there's the music, which is brilliant and fun. And you can actually listen to it, or at least some of the songs, without the movie. My problem with that is that the movie is so much fun that when I hear the songs I always want to watch it again. So, if there's a chance you haven't seen this one, do yourselves a huge favour and watch it. It's way too much fun!
  • Wikipedia states the genre of the movie as "musical science-fiction horror comedy". That's even more than Takashi Miike's The Happiness of the Katakuris, which is "just" musical horror comedy. It also is a great movie, and a crazy one. 
  • I always love seeing the absurdly young Susan Sarandon playing the wide-eyed, innocent-but-ready-to-stop-being-so Janet. 
  • There's been a remake of the movie a couple of years ago. I am curious but still refuse to watch it. 
  • In Argentina we never had, as far as I know, the whole "midnight show ritual" for the movie. I only saw it for the first time quite late in the 1980s, when a friend had brought the video from the UK. By then we were all dying with an-tic-i---pation (sorry, had to do it). 
  • Of course, I'm putting both "Time Warp" and "Sweet Transvestite" here. You should watch one after the other. You should also, for "Time Warp", stand up, take a jump to the left, and a step to the right. Remember, don't dream it, be it!

Plugged in and turned on

AC/DC - T.N.T - 1975 / High Voltage - 1976

I never really got into AC/DC. I don't mind listening to their songs, as long as there aren't too many of them, but I have never been a fan. I do have all of their albums because, well, it's AC/DC, after all. 
So I was kind of having some expectations about their discography. You know, to see some sort of evolution in their music, or something.
But they pretty much sound like AC/CD even from their first album. Or albums in this case. This is, basically, two versions of the same album. TNT was released in Australia, and the other one in the rest of the world. There's only one or two songs different in each release. But, you know, they've pretty much only ever played one song anyway. 
It's just as simplistic, energetic and, ultimately, dumb and fun as they have always been. 
And there's a lot of albums of theirs out there. I'm not too sure what I'm going to say about the next ones. Still fun to listen to them. And Bon Scott's style was a bit raunchier and sleazier than Brian Johnson, I think. 
  • Depending on where you are, today is the 9th or 10th of July. I just found out that Bon Scott was born on July 9th, 1946. 
  • Seriously, if there's someone out there who is a big fan of the band, you can give me a shout and write (or tell me things) about the future albums. I'm afraid I'm going to draw constant blanks. 
  • I'm putting "High Voltage" here, and it could have been any other song. 

Comments