I'm driving in my car now, anticipating fun

Alice Cooper - Killer - 1971

Let's start by saying that this one is one of my favourite albums in Alice Cooper's very long and prolific career.
It does a lot of different things, and it does them all extremely well. The second album by the band to benefit from Bob Ezrin's production, which seemed to really do wonders as far as giving them focus is concerned, Killer grabs you right from the start, with the extremely fun rocker "Under my Wheels", and will take you in a rollercoaster that gives us different styles and genres, and never lets you down.
Even the more experimental tracks, like "Halo of Flies" are brilliant, and brings so much variety and intensity to its 8 minutes, that it completely manages to avoid the typical derivative quality of a lot of prog songs of the time.
If you like Alice Cooper, even a bit, this one is a fundamental album. If you're not too familiar with his material, this is one is fundamental as well, because it pretty much showcases all the strengths of his early material.
And it's such a fun album to listen to! And yes, I just called an album that has a song called "Dead Babies" fun.

  • "Be my Lover" has a slight Rolling Stones vibe to it. And it also reminds me of "Velvet Underground" at times. It's much more fun than both.
  • "You Drive me Nervous" sounds like an early form of punk, not just in the style, but it sounds much dirtier than the rest of the album as well. 
  • In spite of the almost Beatles-like sounds at times (or perhaps just because of it), "Dead Babies" is one of the creepiest songs ever to be recorded. 
  • "Under my Wheels" was re-recorded in 1988 by Alice and Axl Rose, and they both made a great version of it. I'm going to put the original one here, anyway, mostly to show that even in 1971 this awesome tune was already an 80's rock classic. 

I can't resist to try something new

The Doors - Other Voices - 1971

Some bands can survive losing their leader. Hell, some bands even may have improved after losing their leader (Pink Floyd comes to mind, regardless of how much I liked Syd). But for the most part I can imagine that most bands could do just fine with their lead singer gone, especially being such gifted musicians as Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore.
The main problem is that The Doors were definitely not that band. Jim Morrison's aura was too strong for them to ever have a chance to pull it off. 
The other problem is that they didn't have a singer between the three of them. And I'm saying this after having heavily criticised Morrison's performance in his last album. But at least he never ever sounded bland, which is what happens here.
In spite of that, this is not really a bad album at all. Musically, it's extremely well done, and there are a good few tracks, and it's hard to say if any track here is bad. The vocals are the lowest point, though.

Everybody turning away

Mike Harrison - Mike Harrison - 1971

I don't know pretty much anything about this guy. I have just found out that he was part of a British 1960s band called Spooky Tooth, which I never heard of before. I also just found out that he died a bit over a month ago...
This album is definitely not my cup of tea. The songs are nice but way too mellow. I guess that if I had to say what this reminds me of, I would say Cat Stevens. There's even a cover of one of his songs here. As I said, I find it too mellow and generic. Cat Stevens even had some distinctive features, even though I was never a big fan, but there's not much of that here.
I guess that fans of soft and melodic pop-rock might like this, and I don't think this is a bad album at all. It's just not the kind of music I like best. 

Comments