This is where it all begins

When 2018 started, a friend of mine decided to listen to his whole CD collection,  year by year. At the time, I thought it was a massively cool idea, but didn't dwell on it too much.

But at some point, I started thinking I would like to do something like that myself. Because I'm a bit more absurd than my friend, I decided not to "limit" myself to just my CDs, but to anything I've ever owned music-wise, in any format.

The fact that months ago I got rid of all my vinyls and CDs may have had something to do with that. Both with not limiting myself (after all, all the music I have, I now have in digital format --not true, I did keep a few vinyls and CDs), but also with this whole thing I'm starting now. Thing is, when I decided to sell all my stuff it was, in part, because I realised that I hadn't even touched them in..... well, in way too long. But it's deeper than that: Because of how easy it is to listen to music in the mobile, eventually I realised that, more and more, I was listening to the "greatest hits", my own favourites, pruned from the huge tree of the whole music collection. So I thought at some point I would like to go over the whole damn thing. This is as good a time as any.

So here we are. I'm writing this, mostly, for myself (in a way, who doesn't?). I have revisited things before, mostly movies and TV series. There's always this moment in which I think "damn! I should be writing the experience of seeing this from a different perspective!". So I thought I would account for it before I start.

But writing for myself doesn't mean that I don't want to share the experience, otherwise I would just use a text editor, which I have the feeling is probably going to be easier than the whole blogging experience. Sharing, on the one hand, might help me keep on doing this. We're talking about north of 3000 albums here (rough estimate), so if I manage an average of 3 per day, I would be finishing this some time at the end of 2020. It fells daunting, but I have embarked in longer commitments.

But also, I am hoping that sharing I can get to share memories, experiences and opinions with some of you. If some of you drop by from time to time to leave a comment, or if someone finds they share thoughts (or not) about an album, or if I get someone to discover an album because of what I wrote, well that would make me very happy indeed.

We'll see what comes out from this. I'm writing this actually while listening to the first album in the whole collection.

Let's get started, shall we?

Comments